Samantha Wei, blogger behind Mytanfeet and Nomadic Wallet joins us on the show today to chat about her story of how she met Yeison and the start of Mytanfeet and then a focus on monetization strategies that they have tried. This podcast is just packed with information. You’ll hear from Samantha just how much they’ve been able to capitalize on the niche market of Costa Rica. There are some great ways to monetize that she mentions that are worth a try and was impressed by their ability to create partnerships with local businesses to make affiliate income on tours that they refer people to. I also came to the realization during the podcast that as travel bloggers we’re all what is called an “affiliate internet marketer”.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | RSS
Today I have the honor of welcoming Mytanfeet to the Travel Blog Breakthrough Podcast!
With the third episode of #TBB, I wanted to focus in on one particular topic and that is monetization. It’s a journey that I’m going through right now and I’m sure a lot of you are also asking yourself the same thing. There’s so much information packed in this podcast that I think you’ll appreciate us extending this one out to a full hour. Samantha does a great job at explaining the different types of monetization strategies they’ve tried and just as valuable, we delve into some of the great tools that they use to power their business.
In this particular episode, you will learn
- How Mytanfeet and Nomadic Wallet started
- The love story that is Samantha and Yeison
- Making the move to Costa Rica
- There’s a secret beach in Coco, Costa Rica
- Serious surf action at Hermosa Beach, Costa Rica
- Blogging and being on the road is tough
- When Samantha and Yeison decided to start seriously blogging
- Monetization strategy
- Direct ads
- Affiliates & commission
- General affiliates (I clearly can’t pronounce “Canyon” here lol)
- Sponsored posts
- Freelance and consultation
- Power of niche
- What is “Internet Affiliate Marketing”?
- Lead Pages
- OIO Publisher
- AWeber and the power of a follow up series
- My Tan Feet’s big breakthrough – Pizza
- Travel plans for 2015 – Affiliate Summit in Las Vegas to learn how to be an affiliate internet marketing pro. Do I go?
Links mentioned in this episode
- Mytanfeet income reports
- Nomadic Wallet
- Niche sites – Yeison Kim & Vive Punto Com
- OptinMonster -> Best pop up for subscription in the market
- LeadPages -> Helped boost My Tan Feet’s subscription by 700%
- Aweber -> Ability to do follow up series to increase engagement and click throughs
- Hootsuite -> Schedule social media, get a free 30 pro trial
- Buzzbundle -> Another dashboard to be able to manage multiple social accounts + other SEO tools
- OIO Publisher -> Ad management plugin Samantha used to use
Thanks for listening
Thank you for listening to the show. As my second podcast, I realized that there’s still a lot to learn about this medium but it was a lot of fun chatting with Samantha.
If you like what you heard and can’t wait for the next episode, pleas share it using the social media buttons you see on the left side of the page.
Additionally, reviews for the Travel Blog Breakthrough podcast on iTunes are extremely helpful and much appreciated. Your input makes a big difference and helps with the rankings of this show. I read each and every one of them!
Lastly, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. If you prefer TuneIn, Stitcher or Windows catalogs (should show up on search!) I’m also on there.
Big thank you goes out to Samantha Wei for being on the show and I look forward to the next episode of the Travel Blog Breakthrough with you!
6 CommentsLeave a comment
GREAT poscast!!! learnt loads 🙂 keep ’em coming
Thanks Paula! I’m glad you enjoyed it. Had a blast recording this one. I was scribbling notes down madly as we were talking too 😉
I was finally able to catch-up on the episodes and they are all great. This one was very insightful into what to do (and not do) when trying to earn respectable income blogging. Lots for us to ponder about as we are new to travel blogging and we are still trying to build our tribe. Thanks Will and Samantha!
Thanks Don! I’m glad you enjoyed all the episodes so far. There’s definitely a lot to learn from others. I find that’s the best way to learn 🙂 We should definitely chat some time!
Will, I started listening to your podcasts while doing my daily park walks. You have a great “radio” voice and presence. So pleasant! Yesterday I listened to this interview with Samantha, and I was excited to check out the Nomadic Wallet site when I got home, but I keep getting broken links or redirected to My Tan Feet when I do searches. Has Nomadic Wallet gone offline? Take care, friend . . . .
Hey Howard! Thanks so much for the kind words 🙂 I just checked for you and it looks like Samantha consolidated what they had on Nomadic Wallet to Mytanfeet.