It’s certainly been an interesting year for me at Going Awesome Places and Travel Blog Breakthrough so I hope you don’t mind me rambling on about how 2014 went. It’s been definitely extremely interesting to look back on the evolution of my blog to where I am now and I think there are a lot of learnings that can apply to most travel bloggers out there.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | RSS
With this being the holiday season, I figured what better time than to do a little reflection of the year of 2014 that just passed. I honestly didn’t have anything planned before I hit the record button so sorry in advance if it is a little incoherent.
All I had written down on my sticky note was the following on topics I wanted to touch on:
In this particular episode, you will learn
- Taking blogging way more seriously this year
- Travel Blogger’s Toolkit
- Freelance writing with CopyPress and #HipmunkCityLove
- Sponsored writing bringing in most of the income and being careful about what opportunities I take
- First year doing press trips and having success pitching and recognizing the opening of doors
- 10K Twitter follower mark
- Starting of Travel Blog Breakthrough
- Focus on monetization
- The natural evolution of a travel blogger
- Travel Blogger’s Toolkit as an experiment – The “just do it” mentality
- The #TBB podcast
- Pitching success
- Stagnant growth of visitors (600-800 a day)
- SEO and link building
- Not being engaged enough on social media and sucking at Pinterest
- Diversifying traffic and doing a better job at Pinterest
- Income goal – $2000/month
- Travel Blog Breakthrough success
- Growing the newsletter
- Product success
- Create a membership site
- Build long term partnerships with brands
- Udemy course coming out soon on “The Top 10 Tools Every Blogger Needs to Know About”
- Travels in 2015
- Affilliate Summit
- Clearwater & St. Pete’s press trip
- Quebec press trip
- Whistler trip
- China trip
Links mentioned in this episode
- Going Awesome Places
- Tweepi to for amazing Twitter growth
- Income Report for November 2014
- Siteground (current host for Travel Blog Breakthrough)
- #Sinternship (my embarassing video)
- Affiliate Summit West 2015
- One on one mentoring
As promised, here’s that letter I wrote to Siteground for reasons why I should go to Affiliate Summit.
Thanks for listening
Thank you for listening to the show! It’s really because of you that I do these so I appreciate all the support.
If you like what you heard and can’t wait for the next episode, pleas share it using the social media buttons you see on the left side of the page.
Additionally, reviews for the Travel Blog Breakthrough podcast on iTunes are extremely helpful and much appreciated. Your input makes a big difference and helps with the rankings of this show. I read each and every one of them!
Lastly, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. If you prefer TuneIn, Stitcher or Windows catalogs (should show up on search!) I’m also on there.
Happy holidays everyone! I have some big guests coming on the show in the new year so can’t wait to share that with you. Bring on 2015!
1 CommentLeave a comment
[…] you haven’t listened to my 2014 round up podcast, make sure you head over there but if you have you know I got free tickets to Affiliate Summit West […]